Quick Garlic Spinach
This quick, savory vegetable dish is versatile to serve with chicken, pork chops, sausages and ham. For variety, try it creamed, spicy or with bacon and brown sugar.
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
1 small onion, sliced into strips (about 1 cup)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, or 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 can (14 oz.) Popeye® Chopped Spinach, rinsed and drained well in a colander
- Heat oil in a wide skillet. Cook onion 5 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in drained spinach; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
VARIATIONS: Prepare recipe as directed, except:
- Creamed Spinach - Stir 2 Tbsp. flour into cooked onion and garlic. Add 3/4 cup milk and 1/8 tsp. nutmeg; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Bacon-Brown Sugar Spinach – Cook 2 chopped slices of bacon with onion (omit oil).
- Spicy Garlic Spinach - Stir in 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes with garlic.
NOTE: Recipe can be doubled.